HOLIDAY SAFETY TIPS
Plants and Decorations
- make sure your tree is secured and won't fall over
- watch that pets do not ingest too many needles
- be careful around holly and mistletoe
- skip the tinsel
- watch wires from lights and decorations
- don't leave candles unattended
- keep candy away from pets; chocolate and sweeteners can be toxic, and the wrappers can be dangerous if ingested
- do not give pets sweets, fatty, or spicy foods
- all of the following can be deadly to pets: alcohol, avocado, chocolate, caffeine, artificial sweeteners, coconut, grapes/raisins, nuts, some dairy, garlic, chives, and onions, yeast dough
Pet-Safe Holiday Gathering
- give pets a safe place to be when company is around
- make sure all medicines are put away
- make sure your pets are in a safe, secure place when fireworks start
- watch the amount of time spent outside
- be careful when changing your antifreeze; antifreeze is poisonous
- consider booties if your dog is walking in ice or snow
Consider adopting an animal with special needs. What may seem like a big deal to us is often not a problem for dogs and cats. They learn quickly to adapt to life without eyesight or hearing or a limb. Right now we have some wonderful kittens available with special needs. Some like Binky, here, are blind. They are able to eat, use the litter box, and play with toys, just like the other cats. We also have a cat with diabetes and one with damage to her soft palate from an accidental electrocution. All of these animals are loving and grateful. Click here to see our special needs cats up for adoption as well as links for more information. Need to complete your family? Come see our adoptable cats at PetSmart at Highway 281 and Evans Road. An adoption counselor is on duty 5-7 p.m. weekdays and noon to 5 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays. You can also see our other adoptable dogs and cats in foster at http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/TX538.html or
Animal Rescue Connections' Helpline: 210-474-0083 (leave a message)
Address: P.O. Box 239, Bulverde TX 78163
When you give a pet away, the pet pays - Use caution when advertising in the paper or on craigslist.
Stay in touch...
The more we work together, the more animals we can help.
Just by signing up to receive our rescue emails and newsletter, you will also receive Lost & Found alerts so you can keep a look out for lost animals in your neighborhoods, pet food recalls, special events, etc. Be a part of the animal rescue team!
Help support our work by donating via PayPal.